Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Why I Hate Non Native Invasive Species...

1.  Nightingale Reed Warbler.  Formerly on Guam but extirpated by the brown tree snake.
2.  Mariana Crow.  Guam population has been nearly extirpated by brown tree snakes.
3.  White Throated Ground Dove.  Formerly on Guam, but believed to be extirpated by the brown tree snake.
4.  Collared Kingfisher.
5.  Micronesian Honeyeater.  Formerly found on Guam but extirpated by the brown tree snake.
6.  Mariana Fruit Dove.  Occurred on Guam, but was extirpated by the brown tree snake.
7.  Guam Rail.  This bird was almost eliminated in the wild by the brown tree snake.  (Although B claims to have seen these on his way to work...)
8.  Rufous Fantail.  Formerly on Guam but extirpated by the brown tree snake.
9.  Bridled White Eye.  Formerly on Guam but extirpated by the brown tree snake.

(All information from the book Common Flora and Fauna of the Mariana Islands.  Scott R. Vogt and Laura L. Williams.)
Doesn't this make you sick?  This island should be full of flittering colorful birds.  I should be able to put up my bird feeders and watch birds that I would never see any where else we will ever live!   But no.
A non-native invasive creature has killed them all...
This has always been one of my most hated things.  You know on Miss Congeniality, when she gets asked what she thinks the world needs most?  ("Harsher penalties for parole violators, Stan.")  I would say "Get rid of all non-native invasive species."  I wish I could spend my days climbing palm trees and hacking brown tree snakes with my machete.

So, glad I got that off my chest!  Thanks for listening, and no, I'm not really unbalanced...  That much...






No comments:

Post a Comment