Friday, May 27, 2016

Scandinavia Unit: Books...

I am really enjoying the books this time.  Perhaps it's my latent Scandinavian heritage coming out?  Maybe my genes are vibrating a little extra hearing these stories that my ancestors listened to around their winter hearths?

I have a new favorite author.


These books that take place in Iceland are seriously wonderful.  Funny and simple, I found myself laughing along with the girls as Miss M read them.  (Part of that, I don't want to seem to brag, because it's not really my doing, is Miss M.  She reads with great expression, and is just made to read aloud.)



Look at these illustrations!  Do you not want to drop everything and go to Iceland?


This was a beautiful, gentle story with perfect illustrations.
And it reminded me that I have owned, since age five? a book by the same author that was given me by German visitors when I had the chicken pox?  Who knows; it's all a jumble, but I have this beautiful book.

Which Miss M read today and we loved it.

More blasts from my past:


Is everyone in Scandinavia just lovely, wholesome, and gentle?  Because their children's literature sure seems to be.  I love it.

Some others we've read:







The above book was horrifically sad, to me at least.  The girls loved it.  And the illustrations are amazing.  Miss M was inspired to make this drawing:
It shows Sunnymede, the land the children find, with Matthew and Anna laying under the birch trees next to a brook.


No comments:

Post a Comment