Tuesday, April 19, 2016

World Unit, Books...

First of all, the book Galloping the Globe, which I chose to be the starting point for our unit studies on the countries of the world.

I found lots of the suggested books at our libraries, including ones on all five oceans.  I had the girls each pick two oceans and write fact sheets about them.

For history we studied explorers.  I chose Columbus and Magellan.  We used this book:


I found this book, which Miss M really liked.

And this one, which had a lot on Magellan in particular.

In the general literature section, Galloping recommends

Meh, it wasn't my favorite, but ok.

And this
I liked it better, and the illustrations are gorgeous.  The part of me that really really hates non-native invasive species was really disturbed about spreading lupine seeds everywhere though.  I kept telling myself that maybe they're native where ever this book is set?

I had a hard time figuring out how this fit in with the exploring the world theme?  It's a charming book and all.  I guess maybe just to review directions?

And this was a great one,
If I wasn't so overloaded on books to begin with, I would want to own this one.  Wonderful illustrations, good story, some humor, and lots of cute animals for the little one to find.  And, there is a Reading Rainbow on netflix that reads this.

I also found this at the library, that was cheerful and colorful.

For science in this section, we looked into insects and butterflies.  My favorites the library had about these were

Both were great for Miss M to read to Miss R.

No comments:

Post a Comment