Tuesday, April 19, 2016

India Unit, Books...

First of all, the book Galloping the Globe, which I chose to be the starting point for our unit studies on the countries of the world.

It recommends this, which we had read before and really liked.



That was all I got for the literature section that Galloping recommended.  I of course cleared the library sections for the country of India, elephants, and tigers (which are the animals studied for science).  The most useful of these were:





This one was perfect.  Miss M read it to Miss R, and as usual for the Kratt's, is full of good interesting facts packaged in a kid-friendly way.



This one I read, but didn't read to the girls.  It's very interesting, but pretty long for my school right now.  If we revisit India when they're a bit older this will be great.





Both of the above are good and shortish, perfect for Miss M to read to Miss R, which I find myself having her do a lot, because they both like it, and it keeps Miss R out of trouble for a few minutes, and makes her feel included.

While browsing the library, I found some others that I have found to be very good, especially this first.


It reads very well.  Miss M was easily able to read it to Miss R, and there is lots of room for expression, which she is very good at!

This next doesn't take place in India, but in the spice islands.  But I thought the look and story were close enough...
 

You have to love a good moral tale, and the afterword on the folklore motifs was interesting to both Miss A and Miss M.


Tender story about a baby elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment