Friday, April 29, 2016

Japan Unit:Haiku...

Today we started learning about haiku.  First we read this book, which I remembered checking out to read for fun a long time ago.


It's funny, and a good intro to haiku.

Then we each wrote a haiku, while looking at our cat.  Here's mine.

Black cat.  Sniffles much.
Resting, still.  Long tail twitches.
Catch it!  No...  Nap more.

(Our old cat, adopted last fall, is having a rare fit of playfulness the last few days, and chasing her tail...)

Here's Miss M's.

Sleek cat wonders Much.
smells Bliss Mist, sneezes... achoooo!
Right on time.  Love it.

(Bliss Mist is a catnip spray by the way.)

Then we read this:


To have some more examples of haiku, and Miss R guessed the animals.

Then we read a book about Basho, the first famous haiku poet.  (Disclaimer:  I didn't do very extensive reading about the history of haiku, because, let's be frank, I don't have time.  So if he's not, I'm sorry.)


Then this, with haiku from another famous Japanese haiku poet, Issa:


They were both good, we enjoyed them.  Nice quiet peaceful books.  We will work on more haiku hopefully in the days to come.  I'd like to get outside and have her compose.  I made this one up on my way out the door to pick up Miss A from school.

Pale red. Round and green.
Peonies wait, ready to
Pop!  To fragrant bloom.

It's kind of fun!  It's a nice structure to force your thoughts into for a moment.
This book is what I skimmed for background:

The author is really IN to haiku.  It's a good book, maybe a little higher grade level than I want to get into right now, but good to remember if we revisit at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment