Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Recipe: Thick Pizza Dough

This is my Mom's pizza dough recipe, and I usually double it.  Without doubling it makes a normal cookie sheet sized pizza.

1 T dry yeast *
 1 t warm water **
 1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 T vegetable oil
2 1/2 c flour
-Put yeast, sugar, salt, and oil in a bowl, then add hot water.  Stir it up, then let it sit a minute until the yeast starts to get fluffy.
-Add flour and mix until combined.
-Spray a cookie sheet in the middle, I usually leave it unsprayed around the edge so the dough sticks to the side of the pan.
-Let rise, then pick it up (you may need to sprinkle it and your hands with flour to keep everything from getting sticky), and put it on a cookie sheet.  Squish it around until it covers the cookie sheet.
-Heat oven to 350, then bake the naked crust for five minutes.
-Top with whatever, then bake about 12-17 minutes more.

* I, following my Mom's example, always keep my yeast in a jar in the freezer, and I've never had any problems having it not rise.
**  The water should be hot enough to still touch but too hot to comfortably wash your hands in.

No comments:

Post a Comment