Monday, July 23, 2012

A Small Party for a Small Girl...

Our little Miss R turned one!  We decided to have some of her favorite people over for a party.  The girls helped me make some invitations out of scrap paper, we threw some blue crepe paper and balloons over everything, and I attempted to make a cake with two fishes, one for each baby...
Little L from next door had his birthday the day before!  We are looking forward to a couple years of good baby friends...  There he is with his Mom, and our wonderful babysitter has Miss R.
 Our babysitter made a very artistic and intricate model, showing the two babes on a little island in the sea, with a coconut tree and the sun.  Cute, huh?  I especially love the coconuts...
We decorated with some of our ocean-dwelling stuffed animals.  You can see that some of Miss R's friends didn't quite obey my no-present-request... 
There's our friends Miss I and Little I and their parents, and Miss A, then Miss J, who lives a couple doors down and absolutely loves Miss R, Miss M, our babysitter's Dad, and our Daddy.  We ate chili and hotdogs (two of Miss R's favorites) and our friends brought some amazing corn souffle and strawberry shortcakes.  We had way  too much food!  I think growing up as the youngest of seven, combined with having a mother who worked as a caterer makes me always worry that there will be a shortage of food...

The babies opened presents.  Our babysitter got Miss R a little basketball set, some cute sandal things, and some hair clips.  Miss I and Little I gave her a book, some bubbles, and lollipops for her and her sisters.  We got her a little mermaid toy and some books.  Great presents! 
Isn't our babysitter gorgeous?  And Little L is super cute too...
And then it was time for the cake...  This is not, traditionally, my favorite part of a baby birthday.  Being an inherently lazy person, I usually don't allow babies to make messes, so that I do not have to clean them up!  Miss M, in fact, was so unsure of my reaction that she refused to eat her first birthday cupcake.  So I was determined to be less uptight with Miss R...
She tested the frosting...
Thought about it...
And went in for more.
Full fisted.
It was pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Good enough for a round of applause!
 And I stayed up until midnight cleaning and washing her high chair...
The other kids also enjoyed it...
 
Miss I, who is always so sweet and nice to Miss R...
Miss A, and J, our babysitter's little brother.  He just turned 10, and spent the evening being chased and tormented by a pack of small girls saying "Let me hold your hand J!" and dogpiling him.  I kept telling him that this type of behavior won't be that bad in six years, but he wasn't buying it.  He is probably contemplating escape.
And Miss M, of course, loves anything sugary, just like her Mama...
Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment