Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Egypt Unit: Books...

I already wrote about some Egypt books on this post.  Here are some more.

We found the first Bill and Pete book at the library.  So cute!


This was another favorite:


One of our favorites:
Image result for temple cat book

This one was nice too.


This one is a Liberian story, but we have been talking about crocodiles while studying Egypt, so I will include it here.


Another good croc story.


This one was a bit weird, as many creation stories are, but the illustrations are pretty, and it had a pronunciation guide, so we found out we were saying the goddess Nut's name wrong...


This one was good.  Good to know the process behind how artifacts got from Egypt to museums.


This one is funny, and has a code for the girls to decipher.


This one is good if your kids enjoy some good gross pictures...


The girls read three chapter books.  I will let them write about them.






Miss M:  "It was about King Tut and he actually wore or was in his mom's death mask.  This book talks about Howard Carter and how he really wanted to go to Egypt.  Some people think there's a curse on King Tut's tomb because of Lord Carnarvon.  He was bitten by a mosquito very badly and he accidentally cut it when he was shaving.  That caused him to have a disease called pneumonia.  He died.  I do not think the curse is real."

For my personal reading, I started with this book, which I really like.

It's in the same vein as the Percy Jackson stories, in that the ancient gods have modern-day children.  The plot is much more to my liking however.  The main character is Isadora, a daughter of Isis.  It's really good, and I wish there were more!  There's not really any sex, but it has some romance and adult language (not swearing, at least not that I can remember).  I imagine I would advise it to about 15 year old girls.  She makes the Egyptian gods very real and rememberable.













I didn't have time to read these, but I would like to!




Here are some of the extra useful books we found:

This book is a font of info and cool projects about ancient Egypt.

Whenever we do a review of Egypt we will definitely check this out again.

Image result for egyptian mythology book
Miss M got really into the gods and goddesses.  She liked this book.

Image result for egyptian gods and goddesses of the ennead
This one has what I think are the most definitive stories.  The gods and goddesses are pretty confusing and illogical (by today's thought processes anyway), so I trusted this book to give solid info.

Image result for understanding egyptian myths book

Image result for ancient egyptians book anita ganeri

Image result for i wonder why the pyramids were built book

No comments:

Post a Comment