Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Cookies...

I use the same basic recipe for most of the cookies I make.  My Mom called it:

COWBOY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
1 3/4 c sugar
1 3/4 c brown sugar
2 c shortening
4 eggs
1 t vanilla
4 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
2 t salt
2 t baking soda
2 c quick oats
1 bag chocolate chips
1 bag butterscotch chips
-Mix it up!  Drop onto cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 for 7 to 10 minutes.  Makes about 100 cookies.
-When I make this version, I use a cup and a half of shortening, and about a half cup of vanilla or plain yogurt.  And I don't use the full two cups of quick oats, only about three handfuls.

Here are my variations:

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
-use 1 c shortening and 1 c peanut butter
-use peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch
-sometimes I add Reese's Pieces as well

"HEALTHY" COOKIES
-use 1 c shortening and 4-6 ounces vanilla yogurt
-use wheat flour instead of white
-add about a half cup almond meal
-use chocolate and white chocolate chips
-add dried cherries and dried cranberries

APPLE COOKIES
-use 1 c shortening and 1/2 c applesauce and one small container (4 oz) plain Greek yogurt
-omit all chocolate chips, instead dice up about 4 apples and put in
-add 2 t cinnamon and 1 t cardamom to dry ingredients

1 comment:

  1. I tried and again failed at making cookies taste as good as yours do.

    I just need you to move here and I'll raid your freezer for cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete