Friday, September 7, 2012

Experiment: Homemade Crackers...

I had to take a side to the squadron picnic, and since I'm usually a confirmed cookie person, I thought "Hey, crackers are just like cookies right?  But qualify as a side?"  So I tried two types.  The first ended up like Wheat Thins, but I didn't roll them thin enough.  Therefore they were chewy and largely inedible.  These cheese crackers, however, were about the best things I've ever tasted.  (They didn't go well at the picnic- I don't think people knew what they were- but that was fine, because there were more for us to bring home!)  Here is the recipe:

1 c butter, room temp
6 oz finely shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1/2 t sea salt
1 t black pepper
3 t fresh herbs (I used rosemary)
2 1/2 c flour
2 T water
-Mix butter in mixer until creamy.  Add other ingredients one at a time.
-Roll into a log on plastic wrap, chill for 30 min.  (You can of course roll out and cut with cookie cutters.)
-Slice and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment